Series Introduction ⎟ Presentation 1 ⎟ Presentation 2 ⎟ Presentation 3 ⎟ Presentation 4
This is the first presentation in a series of four presentations in preparation for the Xaverian Brothers’ 27th General Chapter in July 2013. The purpose of the presentations is to engage the members of the congregation in a continuing dialogue regarding the living out of the charism of the congregation. This presentation will be centered on CONGREGATIONAL SPIRITUALITY and our spiritual exercises.
This presentation is subdivided in three parts:
The first is an invitation for us to SEE how we are living out or challenged by the issues;
1) Describe your prayer life today as a Xaverian. What do you do to establish “communion with God”?
2) In what ways have your spiritual exercises changed from the time you joined the Xaverians to the present moment?
The second is an invitation to EVALUATE these issues in the light of the words of our founder as well as other sources of wisdom in our traditions;
1) On looking back at the words of the Founder, what is your impression about Ryken with regard to the choice of spiritual exercises he recommended to his followers?
2) Have these spiritual exercises been helpful to you in your own journey to be in communion with God? Do you think that they are sufficient or insufficient exercises for your own spiritual journey?
And the third is an invitation to DISCERN and PROPOSE practices that would enable us together to live the deeper challenger of our congregational charism.
1) Given my current situation and context, can I and my community reclaim the spiritual exercises that Ryken encouraged his followers to take? Why or why not?
2) What do I think should I and my community do to revitalize these spiritual exercises?
CLICK HERE TO EMAIL YOUR RESPONSES TO THE COORDINATING COMMITTEE
Click here for printable transcript of Presentation 1.